[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Do I need to address my timing problem now with this 62?

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Saturday, 23 February 2013, at 9:14 p.m.

In Response To: Do I need to address my timing problem now with this 62? (Michael Depreli)

Good problem; I need more practice with this kind of decision. I have a tendency to race when ahead in the race and break anchor prematurely in this kind of position, when it is often better just to hang around until White has less attacking material—I might waste pips while waiting but if I'm way ahead (as I am here), I'll still be ahead and will be able to hang on to my remaining race lead more securely.

One thing I note here is that White's position is pretty stripped. She has few rolls that make a new point. That makes me lean towards waiting. White may roll poorly and be force to concede something, whereas if we play 20/14 then she clearly has a bunch of good rolls.

White owns the cube. I'm not sure exactly how that influences the decision. I don't think White has a cube after any of the reasonable candidate plays.

If we wait, what do we play? 8/2 is the only other 6. Then 6/4 doesn't look better than 3/1 so the choice is between 3/1 and 8/6. 8/6 is of course the "obvious" play, leaving no shots. However, 3/1 is more flexible, and our 8pt blot does have the effect of "forcing" White's blot to move, when she might prefer to do something else with her roll. While we'd prefer not to get hit, I don't think that getting hit is a disaster. We have a high anchor and White has only a three-point board. The extra checker back is not all bad because it may give us some 6's to play.

I'll go with 8/2 3/1.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.