[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Picture, Cameras, Computers, Pads

Posted By: Chiva Tafazzoli
Date: Wednesday, 6 March 2013, at 7:24 a.m.

Backgammon has changed a lot in the past 30 years. Tournaments are less attended and there are almost no cash games on the side like there used to be.

Back in the days, people would come to tournaments with big wallets, play and leave.

Today, most come with tiny wallets, very limited budgets, but equipped with tripods, cameras, laptops and special software.

As much as I understand the need for improvement in skills and everyone´s right to analyze their games with all kind of recordings, I also am in favor of banning all those devices from the tournament room (which of course, I won´t do).

Backgammon lived from a mass of people who would over-estimate themselves due to a lack of objective knowledge and the difference between the savvy players and the so-called fish was pretty big.

Today, access to information has become very easy and everyone can figure their true level, which has led to the current situation.

What "killed" our game, in my opinion, was not poker, but computers and software and the easy access to information.

What do you think? Learning devices everywhere? Or use them at home for training purposes and leave them at home when you go to a competition? Try to think global and not personal....

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.