[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

My proposal for an event combining PR and winning by score

Posted By: neilkaz
Date: Wednesday, 6 March 2013, at 8:57 p.m.

I recall discussing the previously and noting the Dual Duel in San Antonio was a success and that some other directors are interested, I'll present my proposal for consideration and feedback. But, before I do, I'll mention so as not to scare anyone, that this is only intended for a Masters level side event and not for general tourney use.

My method would have everyone in one bracket rather than splitting into a PR bracket and score bracket. This should save some time and avoid a conflict where one player is doing well in both.

Here's my proposal.

To advance to the next round, you have to both win via score and to outplay your opponent in PR. (The extremely rare tie goes to the score winner).

Of course we now need to decide a reasonably quick way to determine who advances when the scorebased winner doesn't outplay the loser. We could flip a coin or roll high dice (super yuck to both) but it seems far better to decide the matter by a short match. I'm not a fan of 3 pt matches and fear that a 5 pt match could take too long, so I'd propose a 4 pt match which, to me, has more interesting cube decisions and sometimes ends in 1 game. An alternative is to play 2 outta 3 DMPs. Anyhow, how to break the tie can be determined later and aided by discussion.

So lets assume that player A plays a bit better than player B and won the PR. Under a normal totally score based format, player A was a bit over 50% to advance. But under the PR/scored based format, he was somewhat over 75% to advance since he won the PR, was a slight fav to win the match and assuming he didn't win the match he was a slight fav to win the tie breaker.

.. neilkaz ..

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.