[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

I changed my mind: I was wrong

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Wednesday, 13 March 2013, at 12:43 a.m.

I hate playing without clocks. I think it is much better for the game. But after talking with Bill Davis tonight I realize that my taking a stance to refuse to play in tournaments next year that don't have clocks, because I have made a public announcement, along with others who feel the same way, does appear to sound like a "boycott."

Though that was never my intent (I was hoping I, and others, could convince Bill and others the importance of clocks for the benefit of the game), I can certainly see how this public stance feels like a boycott, and I think that boycotts, for any reason other than proven dishonesty, are very bad for the game and unfair to people like Bill who have given their lives to this game.

The list of issues that I have disagreed with Bill on over the years could fill many pages, yet he shows me great courtesy and respect and I hope he feels the same way. I also have a very high regard for Joe Miller and Howard Markowitz and other directors who disagree about clocks.

So I will swallow my pride, admit my poor judgment, and not only will I not take a public stance against attending their tournaments, I will make it a point to attend to support their efforts, even though I hate playing without clocks and don't think its best for the game.

I apologize to Bill and anyone who thinks I may have attempted in any way to undermine their tremendous efforts to run great tournaments (even though they could easily be better).

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.