[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

The value of a checker (in bearoff)

Posted By: Keene
Date: Friday, 15 March 2013, at 4:24 p.m.

I am sure someone has a clever formula worked out that ties in shots left vs checkers remaining vs size of opponents threat (not a euphemism) vs cube location. Can anyone point me in that direction?

Just in case this needs further clarification:

You are bearing off, opponent has a closed board, you have 8 off, you can leave a 16/36 shot (with minimal shots, no additional checkers off) or a 19/36 (more shots, 1 additional checker off) or a 23/36 shot (most shots, 2 additional checkers off). What to do?

Similar question: Similar scenario, but you roll a set, is there a measurement of awkwardness equation? How do you measure whether to take off 4, more awkwardly, 2, less awkwardly, none, super safe - envision your own position for that. Historically, I try and count the xovers remaining, and judge my gammon rate from there, then decide how much risk is worth taking - but there must be a better, more clinical way than that without performing super computer calculations in my head, and risk having that explode all over the place.

Keene

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.