[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What Backgammon Needs to Thrive

Posted By: Stick
Date: Wednesday, 12 December 2007, at 4:22 p.m.

This is off the top of my head sitting here bored in the AM. (explaining why I don't normally get up at this hour, there's nothing to do) What would help promote the game of bg?

• Mandatory Clocks. I think this is a must, we've talked about it time & time again and it seems to slowly be evolving but what's with the holdup? You've been raping the bg players w/the huge cut for years it seems to me, spring for some fuckin' clocks one time! The TD could pass around the clocks from tourney to tourney if they need be, but they're what, probably 30 bucks a pop? Suck it up ... get it done.

• On to the 'raping of bg players'. It seems to me like there's too much of a cut taken out overall. Maybe I'm wrong, I've never done any studies, never really cared to, I'm sure someone(s) out there know a lot more about it than I do, but usually 10% minimum? There's not a lot of incentive for ppl to come out, overall I imagine it's negative equity for about everyone & their mother (counting expenses for the weekend). Backgammon in Europe & aroundabouts have added money. Do you know what that means? If you're living in the US you probably don't ... unless you play poker. Even if we're unable to get the sponsorship to add money, you'd think we could cut down on the fees or figure something out to make it more profitable for everyone.

• Probably the most important on my list, nicknames. How do you expect to have a serious competition without nicknames!? There are a couple, myself being one, X22, Gus if you import his nick from poker, and ... shit, there's one more, can't think of it off the top of my head. I noticed this when the Ballard/Weaver book came out. I looked at all the acknowledgements and low & behold, I'm the only fucker in there with quotes? Blasphemy. We need more sauce in the mix, we need Steve Sax on tape throwing a chair, if that's not ESPN material I don't know what is. Can't you see it? Steve "The Shay Slayer" Sax! . (or 'chaise', whichever you prefer)

• Go Swiss, enough said

• An online site that knows how to monitor cheating, doesn't rake you out the ass, no yearly membership fee, easy to transfer funds to and from, etc... This is still on my list, sigh, but so much work.

• Someone to get backgammon in the US in line. There's too much for me to list here and since it's the AM I don't want to piss everyone off just yet, maybe another day.

I'm sure there's more, like I said, off the top of my head. Feel free to add, expound, slam, whatever it is you humans do at this hour.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.