[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Opaque dice - a cautionary tale

Posted By: Rod
Date: Monday, 8 April 2013, at 7:30 p.m.

I had 2 bad lengthy (8+ hour) heads up money sessions in a row against the same opponent at the same club. He is backed by the house. I've lost more (a lot more) in other sessions I've played at other times against other people. But this felt wrong. Trying to assess fairly, I believe that I've never seen anyone ever get as lucky over as long. And, I know luck can be streaky. I know that a weaker player has some % chance of having a winning session against a better player. I understand my standard deviations. It was just the incredible jokers. 3 games won with a 6-4, saving getting gammoned or backgammoned with 3-5 men on the bar with doubles from the bar (one hole on my board each time) and then either winning or nearly winning 8 times, 3 sets of 5 in a row to backgammon me after I recubed to 8 (a drop for him), and other obscene sequences. I also know when I get lucky - not one to think I win on skill and my opponents only win when they get lucky.

Anyhow, he chose the black and white opaque dice out of a tray of 30 or so dice, the rest being translucent. I can't say it was cheating for sure. All I can say is that I won't be playing this guy again and I don't think I can play at this club again but I'll hold off on being hasty about a decision about the venue.

Regardless, there's simply no reason to EVER use opaque dice. You just never know.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.