[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

8 checkers left race, epc+cube action questions

Posted By: Tenland
Date: Monday, 8 April 2013, at 9:17 p.m.

I found the following position on page 176 of the new Danish backgammon book "Fra basics til badass". Unfortunately, I don't know how to include epc when pasting a position here, but XG says it's 34.0 for blue, and 36.3 for white.

White is Player 2

score: 0
pip: 28
Unlimited Game
pip: 22
score: 0

Blue is Player 1
XGID=-ABD-A-------------aabbaa-:0:0:1:00:0:0:0:0:10
Blue on roll, cube action?

Analyzed in XG Roller++ No double Double/Take
Player Winning Chances: 76,21% (G:0,00% B:0,00%) 76,21% (G:0,00% B:0,00%)
Opponent Winning Chances: 23,79% (G:0,00% B:0,00%) 23,79% (G:0,00% B:0,00%)
Cubeless Equities +0,524 +1,048
Cubeful Equities
No double:+0,752 (-0,199)
Double/Take:+0,951
Double/Pass:+1,000 (+0,049)
Best Cube action: Double / Take

eXtreme Gammon Version: 2.10

This makes me ask two questions:

1. Thinking it looked like sort of a rolls position, I found that its epc should be about 33 pips, (7*4+1) + adjustment of 4 pips for an even number of checkers left and a pipcount of 2,75 per checker. I thought "maybe it's because of the 4 point gap", so I tried moving the 5 point checker one pip forward. Now, by the same method, the epc should be 32 pips. However, according to XG, its almost 33. So question: How do I arrive at the epc of 34 for blue?

2. With a leader epc of 34, I would expect the point of last take to be a little less than 2 pips ((34-1)/7-3) if we had a rolls position vs an efficient position, and about 3 pips ((34-7-5)/7) if we had the same leader epc but both players had highly efficient distributions. I would have thought that since both players have rolls-like positions (but with pretty likely misses, of course), the volatility of the position would be at most as high as in a "roll vs efficient" position, and, therefore, that white couldn't take when down over 2 pips. However, he has a small but clear take. Any thoughts on how i could have estimated the point of last take more accurately?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.