[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

64S-21H-51D-61

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2013, at 7:34 p.m.

In Response To: 64S-21H-51D-61 (Timothy Chow)

White is Player 2

score: 0
pip: 158
Money session
Jacoby
pip: 164
score: 0

Blue is Player 1
XGID=-b----EAB--AcD--ad-e----B-:0:0:1:61:0:0:1:0:10
Blue to play 61

This looks like a setup. I mean, who is not going to follow the advice of the sage: “Just make the 5pt!”

Suppose Blue were to slot the 5pt. With my QF spectacles firmly in place, I can check out the duplication. Opponent White would have 4 to hit, or could make an offensive point with 41, 42, 43, 44, and 45. Were Blue to make the 5pt instead, leaving his slot on the bar point, 6 would be duped. 61, 62, and 63 would make a point in the prime field, while 65 escaped. 64 could be used to make the 2pt. Slight edge to duping 4.

Next, consider Blue’s blot on the 11pt. It goes away when Blue makes the 5pt, leaving a stripped 8pt, and stacks on the 6pt and midpoint. When Blue makes the bar point instead, the builder on the 11pt remains active, and gives Blue a good 6 whether his slot on the 5pt is hit or not. Another slight advantage for making the bar point. The only problem is the failure to unstack the 5th checker from the 6pt.

Finally, let’s look at the covers. A blot on the 5pt would have 6 and 8 as covering numbers. A slot on the bar point, only 6. Give the nod to making the bar point.

Against all this, we have the golden 5pt.

OK, now that I’ve had fun, OTB I’m making the 5pt! As a wise man once said, if wrong, it won’t be by much.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.