[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

please elaborate

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Friday, 24 May 2013, at 10:28 p.m.

In Response To: please elaborate (Christian Munk-Christensen)

There is no way I can quantify these numbers. No one can. We can only point to events like the London open and to other past times like Bridge that draw thousands of players for not even any financial reward (the last Nationals I went to had 3,000 players). It's not because Bridge is a better game...in fact, it's harder to learn than backgammon and you have to find and work with a partner! It's that is is structured better and organized better, and they have continued to change the game, rules, and format to keep up with the times.

Do I know people who have not entered masters because of the higher cost. Yes, many. Me. I also know people who have told me it just isn't worth it for them to come to a tournament and pay those fees when they know they have so little chance of cashing. How do they know this? Not by checking to see how many places are paid, but by coming and walking away empty handed so often. And on top of that, they keep hearing about PR ratings and reading why they have so little chance to win against the likes of Neil and Mochy.

What if I am wrong and the top two or three players do make a little less? First, I don't believe that if there are more players, but if the result is they have a little smaller return in the Open division and have to make more on the side pools and masters, what happens to the game. It GROWS. What happens to the directors? Instead of taking a 10% rake simply charge a fee that makes sure they cover their costs and make a reasonable profit....and if we do have more people they will make more money.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.