[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Non Giants in a Giants invitational? (!)

Posted By: Coolrey
Date: Sunday, 26 May 2013, at 3:03 p.m.

It is a special distinction in backgammon to be voted a Giant by your peers. I remember that for maybe ten years after its inception I longed to be voted on that list! Since then I have made the list, (whether I play well enough or not, and many think I don't, including me). You get a certificate for it, too.

I think I saw where Rory saw fit to add a couple of non-giants into the Giants Invitational. Hmm. How would it be if one of them won?

The Giants routinely get beaten at ABT events by lesser players, or less well known experts. I think they have a right to have their own event, and despite some serious philosophical differences with Rory I have to commend him on creating the event.

However, as usual he micro managed the thing by allowing non giants in the event. In addition it detracts from the accomplishment of the winner, I think.

I am not sure but it looks like Petko has reached the finals by pounding several board certified Giants... But he may NOT be playing one in the finals??? I could be wrong but Mochy's opponent in the semi finals; another FINE Japanese player, I am sure... Is not a Giant, and he won the first match in a best of three.

I think I saw on the American Backgammon Tour page that 16 of the 18 entrants were Giants, please correct me if I am wrong. How dumb is that? You have a perfect number of real Giants, and you add a couple other guys? Pardon me, but no matter how good those other players are, and I mean no disrespect to them, they are NOT Giants. Tyvm in advance, but I think this is bull shit, and this is the sort of thing that causes me to refuse to go to Rory's events.

Don't get me wrong, if Minakami wins the Giants Invitational then he has performed a significant accomplishment and he should be commended highly for it. Hell, by reaching the semi-final he has done something fantastic. Perhaps he will be voted a Giant THIS year, even? In the meantime, he doesn't belong, imho.

Btw, how would you like to be Rory and be conflicted about which of the finalists you would prefer won? He can't really want a non-Giant winner, can he?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.