[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Anyone else blunder this one?

Posted By: Stein Kulseth
Date: Monday, 27 May 2013, at 8:16 a.m.

In Response To: Anyone else blunder this one? (David Rennie)

More men back, better board, argues for bold play. And what I really want to do here as Blue is to split my back men - Blue is still in the race and very much wants to advance the anchor while possible. Any play that does not split looks blunderish to me.

Of the splits, 24/21 looks too rich - in particular it looks worse than 24/22 6/5 which does not come that much under the gun, and splits to a point that is not as valuable to White, while still coming out to a point not blocked.

24/23 8/6 tidies up the blot which is valuable. Leaving the blot allows White to break bar with a hit, and if not hit now, it may remain a liability later. The downside is that Blue only get to split to the 23 which is blocked by the white 8pt, and that may not be good enough.

Also, if - after 24/22 6/5 - the blot is hit, it adds some more anchoring rolls, and if not hit the 5s needed to cover it are numbers that do not play well on the anchoring side, so the play looks quite flexible. So I go for the middling 24/22 6/5 play.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.