[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Speaking as a fish: lower entries would get me to play open

Posted By: Michael Sullivan
Date: Monday, 27 May 2013, at 5:11 p.m.

In Response To: Congrats to the finalists and some thoughts (Phil Simborg)

I'll speak as a fish, at least to the likes of players who are EV+ in ABT open and masters tournaments. I'm a decent player, but most of you would probably consider me an intermediate with a PR in the 7 range. I'm debating whether to play the Open even if I can make the local ABT tourney in July. If the cost were in the $100 range, I'd do it in a second, even knowing that my expectation is probably 10-20% of my entry. It's the cost of playing in an event with some of the world's best players, and I think the experience will be worth it.

At $230, I honestly don't know. I'll probably do the intermediate event instead, but frankly, even the $130 is too much for me to want to stake on an event that *doesn't* contain world class players, unless I think I'm EV+, which I probably won't be, if a bunch of 5-7PR players decide to skip the open like me.

What about the $30 novice event? Supposing I'm welcome to enter, I guess I'd probably make money there, but what's the point of going to a big tournament to play in what is essentially a club tourney, minus the best players. I'm not a novice, and I don't really want to play just novice players.

When I look at the entry options, I'm not even sure I want to play any of the events.

I'm playing backgammon for the challenge and it's more fun to play the greats, so what I'd like to do is play for an amount that I consider a fair exchange, that gives me value for my money. I'll be a fish for $100 entry, no problem. The higher you go, the less I want to play.

Spreading the prize pool more would help some, but not enough to make much difference. Paying more than 25% of the pool seems silly to me.

The ability to enter for a lower amount would be a much bigger draw for me.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.