[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Thanks to Rory, Ben, and USBGF

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2013, at 4:46 p.m.

In Response To: Thanks to Rory, Ben, and USBGF (Chuck Bower)

Wonderful post, Chuck. What Ben Freisen has added to backgammon in the US with his efforts and expertise in streaming matches and lectures is only surpassed by his great attitude and friendly disposition which also adds so much to the events by just having him around.

Rory, like EVERY tournament director, put enormous effort and skill into seeing that this is a great event, not to be missed.

But Chuck was also insightful enough to include the USBGF in his thanks. Behind the scenes, the work that Perry, Karen, the board, and the many volunteers and support people put in to provide the platform and funds for streaming, ratings, coordination, lectures, and many other aspects of the game behind the scenes is truly beginning to pay off as more and more directors and players see the benefit of working together with this organization of the players. Tara Mendicino does a lot of work behind the scenes for the streaming and for the many on-line events which have become so successful and loved by so many players AROUND THE WORLD, and others like Joe Russell, Justin, (yes, and me) also put in many hours a week to provide information and benefits to the members.

I think the only important element Chuck left off is the players themselves...but they are, in effect, the makeup of the USBGF. People like Paul and Jake who support the USBGF and take the time to share their knowledge, and the greats like Mochy, Matt, Neil, Malcolm and others who are founding sponsors and/or great supporters of sharing their knowledge and information are also lifting our favorite game to a higher level of sharing of information and sharing of their personal skills than ever before in the game. Not only are they allowing taping and recording of their matches and encouraging all to view them and discuss them, errors and all, they are open to discussing their thoughts and how they came to their decisions, right or wrong.

Does it sound like we are patting ourselves and each other on the back here? What's wrong with that. I see positive growth and things happening because of this cooperation that gives me much greater optimism for the future of this game in terms of increased participation and a higher quality of tournaments and on-line venues to enjoy and learn backgammon.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.