[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Finalists not a surprise

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2013, at 9:31 p.m.

In Response To: Finalists not a surprise (Chiva Tafazzoli)

I agree with you completely Chiva, to a point. Let's let anyone win the Intermediate and Open, but the Masters and Giants competitions are truly supposed to be premier events for the top players in the game--a "super-Open" if you will. That's not to say that if a beginner wants to cough up the money to play in the masters he can't, and maybe he can win, but the format should not be designed to give him a good chance to win. There, we want to see who is best. All I have ever said is that if you lower the entry fee and pay a few more places, you will get more open players to compete against the Giants and because there will be more players, along with side pools for those who believe they have a stronger chance to win, the winners will make more than they do now.

So, if this gives more total dollars to the better players, why I am for it? Because it will give more people more reasons to come to tournaments and participate. It's better for the game. It's more income for the tournament organizers; more money for the top players; and more people walking away with some crumbs once in a while...if nothing else, at least, in addition to some cash back, they walk away with some points to accumulate toward a year-long or even life-time ranking or rating system. And once they start accumulating some points, that is also an incentive to keep coming back for more.

This idea of only giving points to people who cash is completely WRONG. What's the harm of giving someone points for every win? Of course there should be a lot more points if you win in bigger events and in later rounds, and if you win the tournament, but rewarding people as much as possible along the way and giving them a reason to keep coming back even if they don't cash....tell me how this doesn't help the game? (I understand not doing it 20 years ago when keeping track was cumbersome, but that's no longer a valid excuse.)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.