[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Too much dilution

Posted By: neilkaz
Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2013, at 7:48 p.m.

In Response To: Amazing Coincidence! (mfic)

MFIC "But in my OPEN field, perhaps 50-60 players in a Double-elimination & Progressive Consolation, I pay out 7 places."

MFIC "TO pay deeper, which I would like to do, we would have to rework the charts or have those deeper positions occur in the Consolation (e.g. Three [3] paid in Main/2ndChance and eight [8] paid in the consolation. Roughly 18% deep overall."

Paying 11 players in field of 50-60 is clearly too much dilution, IMHO. I mean would the 5th thru 8 conso players get much more than their entry fee back?

Now if you want to pay two more places, I can accept that especially when you get 55 to 64 players. The way to do that is for your format to also pay 4th/5th places in the main, instead of sending them to the conso! This will also shorted your conso (which can run quite late into Sunday evening) by a round since these two players no longer need to feed into the conso.

I'll be in LA for your event in little more than a week, so please bring all your DE brackets and we'll figure out how to pay 4th/5th and not have them feed into conso if you want to. Or more like you and/or someone local will have done this already and I'll just take a look and give my nod OK.

I'm certainly not afraid to be blunt on a public forum, and I'll be blunt here. I'm in strong disagreement with those who think that paying lots more places is the way to get more players to enter. I'm sure I'm not the only player who's noticed how much hotel costs have gone up. Its not just the $95 rate, it'e the typical $17 tax added on top of that and then there's internet charges on top of that. Air fares certainly aren't coming down either so it is expensive to go away to a tourney. When I win a prize I want it to be sustantial and don't want it overdiluted.

With that in mind, I'm OK if you consider paying 4th/5th main when your bracket of 64 is nearly full, but please don't pay 5th/8th conso.

.. neilkaz ..

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.