[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What attracts you to tournaments?

Posted By: Ken Larsen
Date: Thursday, 30 May 2013, at 10:04 a.m.

In Response To: What attracts you to tournaments? (Matt Cohn-Geier)

For me, it's proximity and costs. I passed on this year's Atlanta tournament (7 hour drive away), because the Charlotte tournament (2 hours away) is being resurrected. But, last year the Atlanta tournament moved to a venue where there are no walking distance restaurants and they charge for daily parking. The previous Atlanta venue was across the street from a huge mall. That was great.

I recommend that tournament directors do a better job of keeping sandbaggers out of intermediate and novice events. I know one person who has cashed 12 times in the intermediate division, yet they keep letting him play intermediate. I play the Open division, and this person should also be in that division. If the ABT would track "average points won per tournament", that could be used to solve the sandbagging issue ... as cashing 12 times would be okay if the player had entered 100 tournaments ... but not if they had entered say just 15 tournaments.

I prefer clocks, but many people in my local club hate them and refuse to play with them. It takes time to get acclimated to clock use. Local clubs should help their members get acclimated. If they're only used at big tournaments, that can drive people away.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.