[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What attracts you to tournaments?

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Thursday, 30 May 2013, at 5:27 p.m.

In Response To: What attracts you to tournaments? (Matt Cohn-Geier)

I thought about making a big list and a numbered rating for different factors, but for me it really boils down to a few things which are important, and a bunch of stuff that isn't particularly important.

IMPORTANT: Cost effectiveness in terms of time, money, and season. In general I don't consider Open entry fees a major cost factor because in the long run my reward/risk for those is about the same -- higher entry ==> higher payouts (and I'm not implying my expectation is positive, because it isn't). However, when my BG bankroll is low it can affect my decisions on side-event entries, so it's not completely irrelevant (standalone). But the more important factors are the non-returnable expenses -- travel costs and lodging. Driving is cheaper than flying (under the constraints I impose). Sharing a ride (and/or sharing a room) are obviously cheaper than not.

As far as 'time', the multi-day weekend tournaments -- those that include major US holidays Like Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day -- are more efficient in that you get in more play for the fixed travel cost.

'Season' reflects the fact that (even in my previous job) summer seems to more conducive to getting away from work. Fall is the worst and Winter and Spring the tweeners.

Tie-breakers. 1) Loyalty: In some cases I've built up a loyalty (through both mutual friendship but also appreciation for the tasks performed) to certain tournament manager/promoter/directors. 2) Friendliness of locals: Bill R. made a point of distinguishing between local players and regional/national players. The latter group tends to be more uniform. Over the years I've become particularly appreciative and fond towards the locals in two specific areas: Central Illinois (Peoria tournament) and Madison Wisconsin (Wisconsin State Tournament), so much so that I actually feel guilty if I can't attend these tournaments. Friendly players, IMO, are the 'intangible' component of tournament attendance.

There are lot of small things, like clock usage, lectures, other learning opportunities (e.g. CJC's Boutique and potential to watch top level players), and BG friends who I know or expect to be in attendance. These add to my enjoyment so probably could play a role, but in general I have to work within time and cost constraints and in the past these have been significant enough to drive the decision.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.