[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What attracts you to tournaments?

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Thursday, 30 May 2013, at 9:24 p.m.

In Response To: What attracts you to tournaments? (Matt Cohn-Geier)

I haven't ever been to a tournament, for various reasons. One important reason is that the entry fee always struck me as being more than I wanted to pay. In the past I've entered some chess tournaments and one Othello tournament. I've always considered the entry fee for the tournament to be a fixed cost that I pay for the entertainment. I lack the gambler's mindset that thinks in terms of ROI. For me, lowering the entry fee, even at the cost of lower ROI, would increase my chances of attending a tournament.

Whether or not I ever attend a tournament, I think my comments may have some relevance because I suspect that people who think of board-game tournaments as tests of skill rather than as opportunities to gamble will have a similar attitude to the entry fee. We won't care about winning our money back so much as having the opportunity to play a lot of backgammon with people.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.