[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Ultimate Backgammon Package for Novices and Intermediates in San Antonio

Posted By: tem_sat
Date: Friday, 31 May 2013, at 3:20 p.m.

In Response To: Ultimate Backgammon Package for Novices and Intermediates in San Antonio (smcrtorchs)

Thank you!

May I ask, if you have marketed in the past such an event or if you are planning to do some additional marketing/promotion for this event? If you have already done some marketing what proved successful and what not?

This is the 2nd time we will have run this tournament, but the first time we have marketed to attract more local and brand new players in Texas. We are almost always marketing this tournament in some way, be it on Facebook, via email networking, online advertising, improving our SEO, talking to players at tournaments, and making sure we have brochures available at as many tournaments as possible.

I believe virtually any marketing is a good thing. It requires constant repeated contact. Basically, we split the work up and I try to promote the event to Advanced/Intermediate and Novice players and Bill Riles promotes to the Open level players. Sometimes we overlap, but that seems to work out very well.

Are there places in Texas where people play backgammon outside of clubs and if so will you try to approach those places with flyers posters etc? Would you hear backgammon dice rolling as you have a walk around the city from cafes hotels etc.? And if you would hear such noise, would you stop and inform those people? Would you place a poster at other places such as big sports clubs or anywhere at all?

There are 3 major clubs in Texas - Dallas, Houston, and Austin. There are only 3 players in San Antonio, including myself, who frequent ABT events. Three! So, even if we gained 1 new player, that's an improvement. We do indeed keep in contact with players and directors from all 3 clubs, in addition to also trying to promote our event at colleges, such as Texas A&M. We have not tried flyers, however, I am thinking of trying more online advertising in collegiate publications. Your suggestion is a good one in regard to seeking out related board / card game clubs or groups. We do have many bridge and chess clubs. I will definitely contact them and send information.

Thank you for your excellent questions and comments!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.