[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What attracts you to tournaments?

Posted By: Michael Sullivan
Date: Saturday, 1 June 2013, at 11:43 p.m.

In Response To: What attracts you to tournaments? (Ken Larsen)

ELO ratings aren't supposed to be comparable unless they are generating from matches against the same player pool. If the calculations are correct, then the novice ratings should rank all the players who primarily play novice tournaments correctly, and the intermediate rankings should rank the players who play intermediate tournaments correctly, etc. Having a high rating in the novice division is not *supposed* to mean that you are necessarily good enough to compete in the open.

Ratings are dependent on the system. I have a 1975 rating on dailygammon and I believe I am still underrated. Top players (most of whom are not giants or giant level) have 2200+ ratings there. The local club in flint maintains ratings, and players who are rated in the low 1700s there are experts who compete and do well in open ABT events. If I were to take my dailygammon rating (probably not too far from the USBGF novice ratings, as a 1500 player at dg is definitely a novice), and assume it means I am much better than the top players in the Flint club, I'd be a fool. They are rated in a system where the average club player is 1500, well Flint has a lot of good players, and even the weaker ones would probably pull a 1700-1800 rating on dailygammon.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.