[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

New Rules in LA--What is the verdict?

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Wednesday, 12 June 2013, at 10:30 p.m.

In Response To: New Rules in LA--What is the verdict? (Igor)

The individual tournament director for every tournament (in the US) uses or makes whatever rules he wants for his tournament. And even when the same rules are used, different directors may interpret and apply them differently and different directors have different opinions as to how strictly they should be enforced and what penalty to apply when violated.

It is pretty easy to see why I, and others, have been lobbying for an international rules committee to establish rules for the world that are clear and unambiguous. I will continue to make this case to anyone who will listen until it happens.

Fortunately, most of the people who are heads of federations and who have influence that I have talked to agree that we need this, but they do not agree about how to make it happen. I have been asked to be patient, so I guess I can wait another 25 years, as that is when I first went public with my recommendations that we improve the rules and have international standards.

Now, having international standards does not mean everyone has to use exactly the same rules for everything. There certainly can be different formats and different kinds of competition, but how we move the checkers and use the cube and roll the dice should not be different from tournament to tournament and country to country. And if someone wants to deviate for whatever reason, at the very least the meaning and intent of the rule should be clear to all.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.