[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

5-4 to play

Posted By: smcrtorchs
Date: Friday, 14 June 2013, at 11:58 a.m.

In Response To: 5-4 to play (onur alan)

I guess asking backgammon questions to a backgammon forum is pretty normal. I can hardly think of anything more normal actually. Anyway, lets focus on the position. Although blue's gammon price is low here and white's is elevated, I do not see a big risk in being aggressive as long as white has a mess for a board. Blue might be many pips in front, but he has not sealed the game yet. A 4 from white will be quite strong next turn. So I believe blue has to hit (in most variations where blue's 20 point is not slotted, I would break the back anchor seeing the position as a pay now or pay later situation). I wondered a little about 9/5 9/4 and I suddenly discovered that it has its merits (less risk, not many less covers next roll, chances of remaking the 9 point later seem low as 4s are dupped and blue would have to break the mid in the process).

As a matter of fact, I began to wonder what blue will do with the blot at the 9 point next turn after 13/8 9/5. This depends of course also on what white rolls, but as it turns out there is nothing great to do with it. Most likely he will hide it somewhere as he covers with the other half of the roll. He would not like to hide it on the 8 for sure and he might not roll a number that allows him to cover it and it might end up on the 4 pt. To make a long story short, after paying some attention to the position I think putting the spare on the 4 point now is wiser mainly because blue will have a better distribution later.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.