[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

GNU version 1.00

Posted By: Michael Petch
Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2013, at 3:49 p.m.

In Response To: GNU version 1.00 (Tom Keith)

The City for the most part is okay. Water levels on the two main rivers that meet within the city are down, but still higher than the last flooding in 2005. Drinking water here never suffered (Amazingly), so no boil water advisories within the City of Calgary.

We have had issues with random power outages, and 8,000 people are still without power (many in an area not actually hit by the flood water). Downtown Calgary is still a ghost town. Most of Alberta's oil company headquarters are there. A couple main bridges have yet to be declared safe for traffic, and some of the damage to Calgary's light rail transit system was extensive, and will require weeks to restore.

I managed to escape the mandatory evacuation as I was lucky enough to be 3 blocks outside the expected disaster zone. I was able to shelter some friends for most of the week until they could get back to their places.

Part of my community was hit pretty hard, as seen in one of my videos here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZuT7ssAXUY

The electrical substation in that video is the one downtown preventing full restoration of power, and it could be a couple weeks before that happens.

Uninsured losses will be in the many billions of dollars. Canada's insurance industry doesn't have overland flood insurance, and our governments have no such programs (Unlike the US and UK). However our provincial government is stating that the will cover the losses (they aren't obligated to). Unfortunately we have been running budget deficits the last few years.

The Calgary Stampede is still going forward, and I think the timing of such an event is perfect. Many Calgarians see the Stampede as *just* a tourist attraction, and I think this year the focus will shift to Calgarians themselves. I haven't gone for years, but I will be this year. The Stampede is now using this slogan: "Hell or High Water", and are trying to raise money for flood relief.

Big thanks to everyone who is volunteering, and those (locally and abroad) who have donated towards flood relief.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.