[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Teaching backgammon to 150 people in two days

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Monday, 1 July 2013, at 12:36 p.m.

In Response To: Teaching backgammon to 150 people in two days (Mochy)

Funny, I teach the bearing off part of backgammon to people who have been playing this game for 20 years and still don't get it right!

What you are going and have done in Japan needs to be done around the world. And we don't need huge organizations and funding and sponsorship to make it happen. All it takes is one person to take the initiative and convince some teachers or parents that backgammon is a wonderful game for their children to learn that will give them math skills and life skills and social skills that will help them in all areas of their life. And then it takes a few volunteers to show up and teach.

Now, you, and I, and others can help by giving some ideas on how to teach kids (like bear off backgammon, providing simple rules, providing a diagram of the board setup and direction of play, forgetting the cube for starters, making it exciting and fun by giving a prize to the one who rolls the most double 6's, providing backgammon boards so that they can keep playing and practicing, etc. etc.) and that is where some organization and support needs to be established to help people around the world do this better.

But also, you don't have to start with 150 kids....start with you own kid and one or two of his friends, or you nephew's class, or the local summer camp.

Mochy, you and Joe Russell and a couple of other volunteers who just got out there are started teaching kids were my inspiration and role model to start doing it myself. Now let's take what we've learned and "package" it to make it easier for others to do the same in their local communities.

Warning to the rest of the world: we need to copy what Mochy is doing or in a few years the Backgammon Giants list will look like Go!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.