[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Score cards

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Tuesday, 2 July 2013, at 4:22 a.m.

In Response To: Score cards (backgame)

In response to my message here, Backgame made this reply:

Golf scoring is exactly like backgammon scoring in its present form. The requirement in the rules is that scores are kept and written on the score card in absolute numbers e.g., 4, 3, 4, 3, 5 ...65.

I am not a golfer, so please correct me if I am wrong.

The scorecards I see on TV are just as you say, with one difference. Birdies are circled, bogeys have a square around them, and so on. Golfers quickly count the circles and squares to arrive at a relative-to-par score. If that is right, and it is not just a TV effect, then golfers are indeed using par-based scoring.

Furthermore, on TV at least, the scorecards I see show the par for each hole right beside the player’s score for that hole. Even without a circle or square, it is easy to count the birdies and bogeys.

Besides, my point is that comtemplating checker plays and cube actions is what is fun about backgammon. Tossing in some extra arithmetic by the way the scoresheet is written does not increase my satisfaction.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.