[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Newsgroup "data" vs "the" Newsgroup

Posted By: Michael Petch
Date: Monday, 15 July 2013, at 3:57 p.m.

In Response To: BGO vs. RBG (Stick)

"One big advantage to R.G.B. is that the newsgroup data will likely outlive BGO."

Just going to point out that I didn't say the newsgroups (Usenet) would outlive BGO, but the Newsgroup "data" will. Contrary to some beliefs, Usenet and the NNTP protocol is decentralized and not the domain of Google. Google just has the most notable interface to it, but they don't have a monopoly on the data. Many organizations spread over the globe still maintain complete archives of every newsgroup for decades, not just Google.

My bet that the data would live on longer is simply based on the premise that there is no single point of failure in the data just up and disappearing. If a centralized site (Like BGO, but not limited to) had a moderator and owner that decided to take their bat and ball home, all bets are off on what would happen. No single person can just shut off USENET and deny access to the data.

So yes, I stand by my claim that I am more likely to see archives of Usenet posts floating in cyberspace than any posts from a centralized privately held forum. This does not mean I think NNTP and Usenet will live on as it currently has, and I am sure that it will likely evolve into something else, or have that protocol fade into history - but not the data.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.