Update & Prime Time/ July Aug Issue
Posted By: Perry Gartner
Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2013, at 3:16 p.m.
Update on the US Backgammon Federation
The USBGF is nearing the third anniversary of its official membership launch in September 2010. It’s been a pleasure to see the organization grow and provide a rich array of high-quality benefits to its members and the backgammon community worldwide. We now have almost 650 members, and 84 Founding Sponsors including Ben Friesen, our newest Silver Founding Sponsor – many thanks to all of you!
I’ll provide a more complete report in the Fall, but I would just note for now that we have offered 85 tournaments through our Online Tournament Circuit since its launch in October 2012, with over 345 members participating in events. We have just announced the launch of the 3rd USBGF Club Team Championship event (see below) with a deadline for entry of August 11 so do organize a three-player team from your local club and register to play.
This issue provides a number of analytic articles to improve your game and appreciation of backgammon:
• Chuck Bower poses a Quiz of ten problems drawn from a match between Ben Friesen, the 2013 Collegiate Champion and Ben Cousins, formerly a student at Clemson and now at Georgia Tech. Take the Quiz and then read his in-depth analysis.
• Dmitriy Obukhov and Paul Weaver discuss the opening 6-4 roll, and how the right play depends on the match score.
• Steve Sax reports on the LA Open, while Karen Davis summarizes highlights of the Michigan Summer Backgammon Championship.
• Don’t miss the winning online player profiles of Jim Stutz, winner of the 1st Director’s Cup, and Bruce Farquhar, winner of the February Monthly Circuit.
• Phil Simborg provides a fascinating interview with Robert Stoller, former Assistant Attorney General in Alaska, who heads the Anchorage Backgammon Club, but makes a number of tournaments in the Lower 48.
• And check your ratings in this issue in both the Online Leader Board http://usbgf.org/trny/leaderboard/ and live tournament Leader Board.
• And much more!!
In this issue, I explain the upcoming benefit and dues changes slated to occur on September 8 in conjunction with our third anniversary. Lock in current rates by renewing now for three years or join if you haven’t yet done so!
The USBGF is getting better and better, offering more and more ways to enhance your playing experience. So if you haven’t joined the U.S. Backgammon Federation yet, do so now – and be sure to renew your membership if it has lapsed. You won’t want to miss out on all the great action.
Perry Gartner President/Executive Director
Messages In This Thread
BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.