[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

XG on Linux

Posted By: Dave
Date: Friday, 19 July 2013, at 4:45 a.m.

Over the years I've tried various versions of XG on Linux via Wine with little to no success. Wine 1.6 was just released so I thought I'd give it another go. Things have gotten much better.

The main thing is that plays and analyzes. It is a bit sluggish. Interestingly, the 3-D version is more playable. There's less lag between clicks and seeing things happen on the board. 2-D is nearly unplayable. 3-D is acceptable.

I have a budget Toshiba laptop running Ubuntu 13.04 with 2x2.7GHz AMD A6-4400M processors and am getting just over 500,000 pos/s. I'm sure that's slow compared to what most people get but the important thing is how does that compare to other people with similar specs? I have absolutely no idea.

Whether it's worth it for a Linux user is hard to say especially given the improvements with gnu 1.0, but at least it's reached the point that a Linux user can legitimately think about using XG now.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.