[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Game play rules checklist

Posted By: Rod
Date: Friday, 19 July 2013, at 4:33 p.m.

In Response To: Game play rules checklist (Chuck Bower)

Well, a mistake for who? The sharks. This conversation has been had before. Often, weaker players see a chou, not as a place to donate, but as a place to learn. I've seen a few players get AMAZINGLY better in a relatively short period of time. (One, in particular, within a year, went from the biggest fish - huge - to calling out some intermediate players on bad plays frequently, being one of the best players in his other chous, and having a very respectable game. Another, within a year, went from being strong beginner / weak intermediate to weak open and being the best in his other chous. And others strengthen their game nicely.)

Many wont simply donate but expect something in return. With consulting even weak players often get their money's worth if they pay attention. I think that's reasonable. There is a relatively fair exchange if the weaker player cares.

In one of my chous I'd prefer no consulting. However, it's not going away. So I make sure that I pay careful attention to the person I'm paying my money to (even if you net +, you still pay a stronger player over time, even if only in phantom equity) for lessons. Every word, every position, every explanation. I get some value for my money - it makes me feel better about the consulting.

In my other chous people improve week to week, it seems. I think that's fair for those who want to improve.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.