[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Seeding byes...

Posted By: Colin Owen
Date: Saturday, 10 August 2013, at 5:49 p.m.

In Response To: Seeding byes... (David Rockwell)

I didn't think that seeding was intended to increase the chance of the "best" player winning a knockout tournament. I thought it was to increase the next best players chance of reaching the latter stages? More specifically, it should increase the chance that the 2nd best player will reach the final, the 3rd/4th best players the semi finals and so on.

If I was thinking of entering a tournament which was seeded, and I knew that I would not be good enough to be seeded, personally that would not put me off in the slightest. For one thing, let us assume that we are not seeded, and also assume that the seedings are reasonably accurate. Though there is clearly then more chance that we will be eliminated in an earlier round, if we do beat a seeded player then we take up their position in the draw sheet!

A player who was on the borderline of being seeded - and ended up not quite being so - should not moan about it as Neil reports tended to happen. It's still better for them that events are seeded: maybe next year they will get the seeded spot.

I think we demean our game by not seeding.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.