[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

New member with basic question about notation.

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Saturday, 17 August 2013, at 5:11 a.m.

In Response To: New member with basic question about notation. (Stuart Gardner)

Point Numbers

Reading your post reminded me of some “learner” pianos that have the note names written on the keys! If you don’t mind sacrificing a board, I say go for it. Short of that, there are a couple of tricks worth knowing.
  • Subtract from 25. — A blot on your opponent’s 9pt is on your 16pt. That’s 25 – 9 = 16. Ditto for any other point.
  • Six pips takes you to the same spot in the next quadrant. — When you roll a 6, you don’t need to count pips. Use symmetry. If you start on the second point of a quadrant, you will land on the second point of the next quadrant.
  • No cheating. — While you are learning, get in the habit of referring to points on the far side of the board using point numbers from your perspective. When you roll an opening 54, for instance, don’t speak about splitting to your opponent’s 5pt. Instead, say I am splitting to my 20pt.

Don’t overdo this. Backgames, for example, are usually characterized by giving the points where your anchors are, but using numbers from your opponent’s perspective. When you play a “3-2 backgame,” your anchors are on your 22pt and 23pt.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.