[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

2 away 2 away Score -- Idea

Posted By: Rick Janowski
Date: Saturday, 24 August 2013, at 6:05 a.m.

I find the score at 2 away 2 away somewhat less than satisfying mainly because it’s really just a messy version of DMP. I say messy because there might be valid reasons to hold off cubing if you think your opponent might do the same (akin to the Prisoner’s Dilemma type problem to some extent) or if there is a significant skill differential. In contrast, this score is particularly interesting in a cubeless backgammon match because the gammon value for both players is 1.00, double that for normal backgammon. This can often lead to situations and tactics outside of normal backgammon experience.

It occurs to me that this more interesting version of 2 away 2 away (in my opinion) could be incorporated into normal tournament backgammon by simply killing the cube at this score. If either of the players wins one point, the resulting score is treated as a Crawford score.

This proposed change has the advantage of making no change to the current Match Equity Tables (for equally skilled players). Moreover, Opening Theory will also be unaffected except at the specific 2 away 2a score. I believe these issues are key because it would seem almost senseless to devalue the major investment theorists and players have made in the last 15-20 years in developing and assimilating new knowledge, all for the sake of a rule change.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.