[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Janowski rule - variant idea

Posted By: ah_clem
Date: Thursday, 29 August 2013, at 3:19 p.m.

Rick's idea of playing the 2a 2a game without the cube got me thinking. What if instead of having this cubeless game in addition to the Crawford game, it became the Crawford game, after which the cube was back in play. I present the following modified Crawford rule:

If one player reaches a score one point short of the match, or if the score becomes 2-away 2-away, neither player may offer a double in the immediately following game. This one game without doubling is called the Crawford game. Once the Crawford game has been played, if the match has not yet been decided, the doubling cube is active again. (change to existing rule in italics)

In practice, this would mean that gammons win the match and single point wins and single point losses are almost meaningless. So both players would aggressively try to win a gammon, while simultaneously trying to avoid gammon, and not really caring about single point wins/losses. Sort of an anti-DMP and simultaneous GG/GS score.

Now, I seriously doubt this would ever catch on for general tournament play since it's so bizarre and unlike any "normal" backgammon I've ever played. But as a variant on the two-pointer it could be fun as a side event. An equivalent formulation of the rule for two pointers would be: a two point match, first game cubeless, normal match play without Crawford thereafter.

Not sure if this variant has ever been proposed before. Ring a bell with anyone?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.