[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

USBGF home page

Posted By: Michael Petch
Date: Thursday, 19 September 2013, at 5:35 p.m.

In Response To: USBGF home page (Stick)

Is a good suggestion. I'd say 95%+ of the time it is a reasonable result.

Just a caveat. This works for most people on most sites, however not full proof (and I have had experience with it). They don't handle cases where DNS load balancing occurs (especially ones that are geographically distributed). This is more of a problem when the person requesting the test is overseas from the server that does the test. They may make a query of the same site but directed to different servers. If one server is down and others are up the result can be inconsistent.

It also doesn't do all that well shortly after certain DNS change are made. Since some DNS changes can take hours to a day or more to propagate the entire internet, it is possible that one part of the world may see old entries and some new. End result, it may work for some and not others depending on location.

Summary: Sometimes the results are more like "Appears down for some, but not for others" rather than "Down for me and not everyone else"

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.