[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Dodged a bullet to get here

Posted By: Smcrtorchs
Date: Saturday, 21 September 2013, at 6:25 p.m.

In Response To: Dodged a bullet to get here (Igor)

You can find a much more in depth analysis of how the efficiency of the position of both players affects the take point at Zare's article (July 2005) at gammonvillage.

http://www.gammonvillage.com/backgammon/magazine/article_display.cfm?resourceid=4602

I hope that if you copy paste the link to your web address it will work. I have no idea how to make it a direct link.

I believe that the value of a pip should be relevant both to the length of the race and the winning percentage of the player on roll, therefore, I believe that the process that Dmitriy used to calculate it would yield a better result. At the 2nd comment of another of Zare's gammonvillage article (April 2003), Zare uses the same procedure that Dmitriy used, only that he mentions: "The pips closer to the even races are worth a bit more, and those in more extreme races are worth a bit less, but this interpolation is fairly accurate, and can be used to extrapolate a few pips beyond the take point,too."

Well personally I find no reason why not to deduct a small percentage to find the first pip value and progressively deduct a bit more for the next pips.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.