[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Let's have a definitive test of skill

Posted By: Rod
Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2013, at 4:02 a.m.

In Response To: Let's have a definitive test of skill (Phil Simborg)

By best, you mean the one who performs most like XG. That won't necessarily mean the one who can make the most in the exact same $ game nor the one who will win the most tournaments, for which along the way a top player would typically play numerous weaker players.

If all players in tournaments and $ play were playing 2-3 PRs the. Your test would be great at determining the best.

But first you need to define best.

And while I'll say that anyone who plays 1 PR better than me is definitively "better" and exceedingly likely to cash more often, I don't know that someone who scores a 95 on your test is necessarily better (at winning) than someone who scores an 80.

Your test is not meaningless. But it's not as meaningful as you feel it might be.

Further, what if one guy doesn't perform well on tests (it happens that some people don't) but performs better over the board. Or one guy gets no sleep the night before (shown by studies to effectively reduce iq by 10 points). Or any number of other things.

It might group players to some level of statistical degree but I doubt it's any betterthan average or against XG over 100 matches or so.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.