[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Accidently created a new form of competition--advice needed

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Thursday, 3 October 2013, at 2:18 a.m.

At one of the high schools where I coach a bi-monthly backgammon club, I have the kids playing only unlimited games, as match play is simply too complicated. Usually they play round-robin and keep track of points won and lost and I give small prizes at the end of each session when I am there, and then give nicer prizes at the end of the year (backgammon boards, a trip to Europe, etc.).

Last week, at the request of one of the kids, we changed the format. They would play unlimited games until one of the players was plus 5 and then the victor was declared. No Jacoby and no Crawford Rule.

I became fascinated with the strategy of the game and match and began to realize that this was really similar in some ways to match play, as your strategy must change as the score changes. However, if you are losing 2-0 and win 2 points, the score goes to 0-0. I began to wonder about a few things:

1. How do you calculate take points and gammon values at the different scores?

2. Would this be an interesting competition or side event for us tournament players, and if so, would it be better with the Crawford Rule?

3. Would this be a fun way to play for money?

How would you change your game for this format?

Any thoughts/insights/suggestions appreciated.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.