[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

I've changed my mind

Posted By: Bill Phipps
Date: Thursday, 10 October 2013, at 5:43 p.m.

In Response To: I've changed my mind (Bill Calton)

You are an accomplished chess player, Bill. Would chess be better off if games were never published or there was no rating system? I used to play chess when I was young, and I remember being embarrassed by having a bad game published or by a low rating. But I also remember feeling proud of having a good game published or breaking through to the next rating class. Rather then being discouraged by the transparency, it motivated me to improve. That is the nature of competition.

As far as I can tell, the matches being posted feature open division players and often involve a Giant. I strongly believe that if someone wants to be considered a "giant" in this game (one of the top 32 players in the world), then they should have no issue with having their performance scrutinized by others.

I do not know of another major game or sport where the performance of top players is not open for public scrutiny. Plus, having published matches is of tremendous value to people seeking to improve their game. I would welcome a data base of matches and PRs.

One important caveat. I think it is crucial that there is no cherry picking of which matches are posted. I would hope that Dmitriy or anyone else posting matches does so without consideration for how the players performed. And, for the record, I believe that Iancho’s results are rife with bias and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.