[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A problem that could have been avoided

Posted By: TarHeelFan
Date: Tuesday, 22 October 2013, at 2:08 a.m.

In Response To: A response from Lucky (Neal Weiner)

Neal, I hope you will learn from this and improve. If you have a "Limited" event, there must be some criteria by which you limit it. It can be quantitative (e.g., have not cashed at Open or Masters level), or it can be subjective (e.g., Director's discretion). But the criteria must be made known in advance.

In this case, there is nothing in the flyer about eligibility for the event. If it's correct that you initially told NGR that not having cashed at the Open level was the eligibility criteria, then he has a legitimate beef with Lucky being allowed to play. He was told one criteria, but the decision was made on a different criteria.

The lesson to learn is to go into the event knowing what your criteria is, publishing it, and enforcing it. In my flyer, the Cardinal Classic clearly stated "limited to players who have not cashed at the Open or Master level." Lucky would not have been allowed to enter. I had a player in much the same position as Lucky (cashed years ago), and he had no problem once I pointed out the criteria in the flyer. He would not have been the strongest player in the field, but I had to go by the published rules.

Next year, I hope your flyer will address eligibility. Even if it says something as vague as "Director will deny entry to strong Open players," that let's folks know that it's subjective.

Please take this as constructive criticism from a director who has made the same kind of mistakes in the past. I'm not taking NGR's side on this. I'm only pointing out the these things need to be decided in advance, not at the last minute. If you've thought these things through prior to the event, and especially if they are covered in the flyer, you can avoid a lot of ambiguity and disputes.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.