[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Doubles -- why does an Open player want to play with an Advanced/Novice player

Posted By: mamabear
Date: Tuesday, 22 October 2013, at 5:28 p.m.

In Response To: Doubles -- why does an Open player want to play with an Advanced/Novice player (Bob Koca)

Bob Koca brings up a point that will need to be clarified in the rules for this event: ...They may prefer to play with their regular partners also. ... The rules can be written such that only one "pro" can be on the team, but that it would be perfectly acceptable for two "ams" to enter without a "pro". I can't imagine who would have a problem with such a provision.

I am assuming the random draw idea will not be in the final draft. If it is, I suspect the ship will be sailing without much of a crew!

Back to the question that started this thread: Many "Ams" make fine doubles partners. The ideal situation in doubles is that you produce a team that is better than the sum of its parts, and to do so it is by no means necessary that both original parts are of equal strength.

More specifically, you need an Am who is a decent player and also willing to ask questions when they need clarification, and to speak up when they are convinced they are right. Paired with them you need a Pro who understands that nobody's game is flawless, and that an Am who feels very strongly about a play or cube decision should be given a fair hearing. The Pro should let the decision go the Am's way in the case where the Pro admits (at least privately) that he or she not sure, but it's clear that the Am is very certain. The Am's study and experience may include a detail that is patching a hole in the Pro's game, and the Pro must not fail to recognize when that might be happening.

A good Am pard as I have described can significantly improve a Pro's chances of winning the event...so to answer the original question, why would an Open player not want to play with such an Am?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.