[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Some Omaha 8 hands (long)

Posted By: Stick
Date: Thursday, 3 January 2008, at 6:37 a.m.

Hand #1

Six handed O8 it depends on my mood how I play this hand. If it's a conservative day I fold, if it's an aggressive day, I do as I did. I don't claim to know for sure which way is better than the other, but I do believe the worst play to be flat calling preflop. If you flat call now you've priced in the BB at least, possibly the SB, meaning you actually have to make a hand to win. If you 3 bet, you force them out unless they've picked up a great holding, and the hand plays pretty well HU.

Flop comes, decent flop for me though I'm not excited about the ace. Since I represented AXXX at least I'm obviously betting, and I do have the diamonds to fall back on. I get lucky, he folds. He may have an ace but no kicker and simply not want to mess with it or have nothing at all.

Hand #2

7 handed, which may be only 1 more person than the previous hand but it's 4 more cards and a big difference in my mind at least. My holding is mediocre but I decide to raise with it anyway. I'm a thin the field kind of guy knowing that if I get HU I'll typically know when I have the best of it, even with a mediocre hand. The 7 is completely out of place and a waste of a card, on top of that nothing is suited. O8 is a game of flushes, and I don't even have the possibility.

Someone cold calls my raise, next guy 3 bets, both blinds come in, not what I had in mind... til the flop comes. Broadway for me. SB bets out, BB calls, now it's to me. This is a much tougher decision than it seems. Should I flat call, hope a heart or pair doesn't come on the turn, then raise or should I raise now and push out the rest of the field?

One thing I don't like at this moment is with all the preflop action it's likely the Ah is out. Granted, they need another heart to go with it and there's no low possible, both in my favor, but it's still on my mind. I decide to announce my hand to the world and hope for the best. There is no disguising my hand if I raise, it's blunt obvious what I have, which is why I'm hesitant to do it. Fortunately everyone behind me folds, which means I may have driven out some low heart draws, and now there's just 3 of us. Fingers crossed.

The turn is a raving beaute of a card. Blank blank, no heart, no pair, no king or ace to make someone else the same nut straight I already have. They of course check to my nuts, I bet, they chase.

Vomit@river.org I see this card and I think weeeeee, there goes another $270. They both check which if someone had made the nut hearts they wouldn't do, they'd bet out and force me to make a decision. I'm more than happy to check it down and hope nobody shit out. See what these sick fucks were playing preflop? Justice is upheld, I can sleep at night, there may not be _A_ god, but there's certainly _A_ card god, proof positive.

Hand #3

Ten handed, I pick up a monster in the BB. I wish there were more ppl in, this hand screams scooper. Happy to have the hand though I need to maximize its value HU. I don't want to give away what I have PF so I simply call from the BB and hope to hit + mug later in the hand.

The flop comes down pretty for me. I check/call feigning weakness. Right now I'm thinking no matter what comes I'll probably raise the turn. Any low card that doesn't counterfeit me makes me the nut low, possibly nut high also with the straight. Even if I do get counterfeited with a 3 spot it makes me trips and it's unlikely my opponent is on A5 even less likely A6 so that's probably good. I'm also giving my opponent credit for an ace at this point, which means the likelyhood of my ace getting painted isn't that great.

The turn may look like it missed me but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I check, knowing my opponent is going to bet. My raise will should put up the flag of "9J" or possibly trips, meaning if low doesn't come my opponent will put me on the high part of the hand and fold. If low does come, well, then I make the nuts. I have way too many outs not to raise here, any club or any low card, I would count the outs but I really don't care.

The river is a horrible blank ... except, my play on the turn makes the river look inconsequential. I lead out. I certainly can't check and hope to take the hand down w/33 (though it may be best!) I have to get my opponent to fold. There's $145 in the pot at this point so this play doesn't have to work but 1 time in 7 to be profitable, and the way the hand has played out I expect it to work here. It does, I save the hand history and deem myself card genius for a day.

Hand #4

A bit similar to the last posting, only 7 players PF in this one. It's folded around to me in the SB and for HU I have an excellent hand so I raise. He calls as he should w/about any reasonable holding.

Gotta love that flop. HU something in my hand has to be good, either my low if it comes, the nut hearts if they come, or my AA just may win it. I bet, he raises, and from all that mentioned above, I could give two shits what he has, I'm reraising.

Now a jack on the turn. Missed me all over but as far as I'm concerned my hand is golden. He raises...ugh. Now I put him on 9J, no lie, two of his cards are 9J there is no question about this. Now I reevaluate as quickly as I can. Any heart except the J of hearts is a nut out for me [8 outs], any low that doesn't counterfeit me I'm counting as an out for 1/2 the pot because I can't put him on a low better than A6 knowing 2 out of 4 of his cards [12 outs], any 2 or 3 gives me a better two pair [5 outs] and an ace makes me trips [2 outs]. Add them up that's 27 outs out of 42 cards!! So guess what ... reraise!!!

If you followed that paragraph and think it's impossible in the 15 seconds or so you're given to make a decision it's not if you constantly do it. These are the sort of things I'm always thinking about and that turn this hand from a winner into a big winner. Most ppl would have called the raise, probably checked it down. I get an additional two big bets because I know what he has.

Deuce comes on the river, and since I'd honestly analyzed all that at the time, counting deuces as winning cards for me, I bet and he calls me down. He beat me, straight up, pay that man, pay that man his money

Hand #5

This is a hand for anyone who wants to try. Spot the error, I'm not saying who it was made by, could be me or one of the other players.

Hand #6

Not a great hand but getting in for half price I'll always call PF with this hand.

The flop honestly isn't that bad for me. I don't have anything but at the same time 88 may be good or I might hit my low. Check/call here. I have to give the original preflop raiser credit for something, at least low, no reason to raise him here. I'm happy when the other guy folds and it's HU, means I have a better chance of getting at least half.

The turn doesn't help. I check, hoping he checks behind me. He bets ... I think his hand may be better than mine but I don't think it's hopeless. I decide to call and try to get my half of the pot. With my holding it's likely if low comes I'll either get high or low.

The river is a dud. I check .. he bets. Let me say that again, he bets. He originally raised 2nd UTG w/1 limper ahead of him and has bet every street. If he has anything now, such as AJ, AT, etc.. he should check. There's no reason to bet those hands for value, gets you in more long term trouble than it's worth. He could have a five? It's possible.. again, not likely. I don't put EP raisers on fives unless they give me good reason to. What I do put them on is AX where the X is a duck or a tree. That's two of his cards and his bet is starting to smell of a stone cold bluff. I rationalize it is a bluff, and he probably has nothing to less than nothing. Again, any marginal holding he checks - while he could have AA or a five and bet, that's it. It's much more likely he's bust and the only hope of winning is betting. I call and drag the pot proudly with my snowmen.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.