[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Conso optional

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Sunday, 3 November 2013, at 2:51 p.m.

In Response To: Conso optional (Art Grater)

This sounds like a bad solution to a phantom problem. Many (possibly most) players want a lot of bang-for-the-buck with lots of play while still having a chance to cash.

A better plan (for those who don't like consolation) is true double elimination (e.g. Novi and LA) where losing one match doesn't take you out of the first place prize pool.

Or how about Swiss (e.g. Chicago and Charlotte) with three losses required for elimination from first place equity.

Typically these formats still have 'consolation' (a continuation of play where prizes are still at stake but first place is no longer attainable).

Are players allowed to withdraw at any time? I've never been clear on this -- I've seen players just up-and-leave in both Swiss and before the start of the LC without (to my knowledge) repercussion. But I think it is discouraged/disapproved by directors.

IMO, the format should be designed to please the most players, not the petulant self-perceived expert who thinks anything below first place is unworthy of his effort.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.