[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Proposed World Ranking System - Update

Posted By: Steve Mellen
Date: Thursday, 21 November 2013, at 4:07 p.m.

In Response To: Proposed World Ranking System - Update (Ken Larsen)

The conceptual challenge I see with a world ranking system is that the vast majority of players play exclusively within their own local or national pool. There are only a limited number of events where the national pools tend to mingle with one another, and a very limited number of players who routinely play those events and, shall we say, cross-pollinate the various national pools. So the effect is that you'll eventually get a reasonable sorting within each national pool (hopefully), but there's just not enough international activity going on to sort out the various local and national pools vis-a-vis one another.

An international rating or ranking system can work to sort out the players who actually play a decent number of international events, but I don't know if it gives us a reliable ranking of every player on earth. Even if I have the exact same rating as some local tournament player in Denmark, I don't think the system can really say that we're of equal strength, because 99% of our matches are against local players who never encounter the other group and influence their ratings. Ken, does what I'm saying here make sense, and what would you say to address that?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.