[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

OT — Music Videos at YouTube

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Sunday, 24 November 2013, at 8:10 a.m.

In Response To: This is an OT crap post (Stick)

Ylvis Has Not Left the Building!

A wise person once said that the definition of good music is the music we listened to as teenagers. How true! How horribly parochial!

That’s one reason I want to thank you for sharing your picks. They give me a chance to stretch beyond the confines of my comfort zone. I’ve listened to all of them now that the links are up, and I enjoyed (at least in parts) most of them.

Born in the 50s, I grew up in the 60s and 70s. Grew up on post-British-invasion classic, psychedelic, and progresive rock. The first two albums (as opposed to singles) I ever bought were the initial releases by Led Zeppelin and It’s a Beautiful Day. It amazed me as a kid that my parents never connected with rock'n'roll. I swore I would never close myself off from new music. Didn’t want to be like them!

And all in all, I’ve done pretty well. It still delights me to discover a new band like Dogma. I have to be careful though. There is so much crap out there that it is easy to reject it all. But that’s no different than the 60s or the big band era my parents loved. For every timeless recording generated in those decades there are ten forgettable ones. Here is the direct link to the Dogma tune. As you can see, I finally learned the title as well.

Khoskap (Matchmaking)
Dogma
HOT HOT HOT!

Below I’ve linked a video by Christina Aguilera that turned my head. When you consider that she is half my age—clearly the artist of another generation—you will understand why I give myself credit for opening up to her music. I had already dismissed the other Disney kids who were making pop records. You know, Britney, Jessica, and all the rest.

This is a performance of a James Brown classic at the Grammy Awards. Now, James Brown had one of the tightest bands in funk and R&B. Take a close listen to one of his greatest hits anthologies, and you will be astounded at the musicianship. Why anyone would think we need to hear a cover of one of his tunes is a mystery. And yet, Christina pulls it off. That’s Jamie Foxx expressing his amazement at the end.

It’s a Man’s World
Christina Aguilera
49th Grammy Award Ceremony

In closing, I want to tip my hat to Lenny for alerting me to Bob Dylan’s clever new video for a fifty-year old classic. When you watch it, don’t forget to change the channel!

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.