[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Cut Ken some slack, his work is still in the early stages

Posted By: Henrik Bukkjaer
Date: Wednesday, 27 November 2013, at 10:49 p.m.

In Response To: Cut Ken some slack, his work is still in the early stages (Barry Silliman)

Seriously Barry, I smiled while reading your post (as I always do reading your well written posts), but I was actually trying to be constructive with my proposal of not calling it World Rankings (yet). I was not trying to be the "Ohh-I'm-so-much-better-than-you-arrogant-Americans" kind of guy...

I'm fully aware that Europeans (and especially Danes I may sadly admit), love to think of themselves as being much more correct in their view and perception of their place in the world and interactions with other cultures, than North Americans are. And (a lot of us) love to think of North Americans as being outright ignorant of other continents and cultures. I don't share that view myself by the way.

You hit the nail on the head, when you say that Ken will struggle to get acceptance of his proposed system in the US, let alone the rest of the world after that!

My point is, that doing a "pilot phase" with the ABT to begin with, then proceeding to "full scope" including a plethora of tournaments into the system for a world wide list, makes a lot of sense. But selling the ABT pilot as a World Rankings system, simply rubs a lot of "better knowing" Europeans the wrong way. They will read - or maybe just skim - the lists on Ken's page, not being able to spot a single European player there, and conclude: "arrogant bastard, this will never fly", and Ken will be at a disadvantage from the get go, in obtaining the acceptance he seeks for his work.

If it's a defect in the mind of the North American stereotype or the European ditto I don't know? But surely it will not be productive.

And Ken has been posting "I have a suggestion for a World Ranking system" a lot of times, along with a link to this revised ABT ranking list.

You also mention this:

>> we won't call our system a World Ranking System if the Monte Carlo tournament stops referring to itself as the World Championship

I was so close to posting that very same analogy... By calling this "World Ranking" (at the current stage), Ken is making the exact same "error", that a lot of BGOers are complaining about when talks fall on the subject of WC in Monte Carlo!

By the way, in that sentence you say "we" and "our" about the ranking system (meaning North Americans?). Who do you think is in charge of referring to the tournament in Monte Carlo as the World Championships, or owns that tournament? That would also be a "we" and "our" thing: Patti is from the US, isn't she?... :-)

So, don't misunderstand me, I was suggesting to rename the list to what it is, in order to help you guys!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.