[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

All matches in Vegas and my PR

Posted By: Henrik Bukkjaer
Date: Thursday, 5 December 2013, at 12:30 a.m.

In Response To: All matches in Vegas and my PR (Mochy)

Mochy, THANKS for posting all your matches and by doing so contributing to the development and perception of backgammon as a skill game.

I congratulate you on your performance, which shows that it pays of to work on your game for thousands of hours.

I didn't read your post as a bragging post, or a post trying to belittle your opponents.

-------

One thing to note here, is that Mochy posts his entire tournament record. Not just select matches, not just the ones he won or the ones where he played the lowest PR. Not any sort of cherry picking at all. A lot of players could learn from this, because posting only select matches or select PRs, are really the sort of bragging or bad PR Kathy mentions - not posting your entire tournament.

Besides, if you enter an official tournament at this level and with a high profile like the Las Vegas tournament has, you must expect to get your matches publicized. I never understood why in backgammon, it is the norm that matches played in public and official tournaments are to be considered "private", and not to be shared or publicized unless both players agree. In chess you will get DQed if you don't record your match and hand over the record to the tournament organizers.

Kathy, Mochy mentions only Bill Phipps name (who outplayed Mochy), he never mentions anyone else or otherwise single out anyone in his post. I see it more like a gesture towards Bill Phipps, than a ridicule of the other players. In fact, it is a proof that not only did some of them beat one of the worlds strongest players, but they did so even in a game where he played at his expected world class level. That is not taking away from their win, on the contrary it's putting their performance in perspective! And honestly, how many players go into a match with Mochy and expect to outplay him or expect to win without getting a little bit lucky on the way to that victory?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.