[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

USBGF proposed master point system

Posted By: Joe Russell
Date: Thursday, 5 December 2013, at 5:59 a.m.

In Response To: USBGF proposed master point system (Rod)

While there is no way to prevent people from cheating online, I doubt it happens as much as you think. I have played several hundred people online in the last few years and have been suspicious of very few. Several that have been suspected of cheating have been caught or called out. Anyone that would cheat to gain respect risks losing a lot more than they may gain.

Most competitive backgammon is played online. Live tournaments are a luxury that most people can not devote more than a few weekends a year to. Do you think Master Points should only exist to heavily reward the 10 or 20 players that can play in 10 or more live events a year, at the expense of the 100's that play online, regularly? That reward system already exists, it is called the ABT. I would guess 98% or more of the online players are honest and never cheat. To ignore the arena where over 99% of backgammon takes place to insure that there is no cheating going on is a HUGE marketing mistake and counterproductive to growing the game.

Master Points earned will, likely, be listed for Live, Online, and Overall (a combination of both). If you don't value or have faith in the Online or Overall lists, I would suggest you ignore them and focus on the Live one.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.