[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Ranting. Metric System.

Posted By: Keene
Date: Thursday, 5 December 2013, at 9:04 p.m.

In Response To: Touch Move Compromise - take pictures (Stick)

Being a non-american, really it is appalling that the metric system has been so roundly rejected here.

I mean, base 16????? Who uses that???? Ridiculous.

Dont even get me started on Fahrenheit. Thats just wrong.

Personally, I can work with pounds, ounces, yards, inches, and I dont have a problem at all doing so. Just when most of the rest of the planet is using meters, kilometers, centigrade and all the other base 10 measuring systems, it seems odd that the supposed leader country is so strongly opposed to it.

Something that really gets my back up about it too is the attitude that comes with it. "I'm American, I dont need to know what a meter is!". Really? Is the rest of the world wrong? Are you so sure that your god given American right is this? Shouldnt you be more accommodating to others?

I realize that I may irk or piss off some of the Americans on this board, and I dont give a fuck. On the whole, I think that its the attitude that is demonstrated that gives America its less than stellar reputation everywhere else on the planet. I also realize that many Americans agree about the measuring systems in use.

Anecdotally, I heard a story about a NASA project (I forget where), they were building one of the space ships, and they contract out the building of components and parts to the lowest bidder. There was at least one occasion where the specifications for a component were sent without units attached to them, and some German or Japanese company built the component using meters, centimeters, millimeters, grams and kilos. Resulting in some significantly smaller part that weighed less, didnt fit etc. I am certain its google-able.

Keene

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.