[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

(mis-) handling a bad roll

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Thursday, 5 December 2013, at 10:27 p.m.

In Response To: (mis-) handling a bad roll (David Levy)

White is Player 2

score: 2
pip: 116
5 point match
pip: 117
score: 0

Blue is Player 1
XGID=-a-CABCC----bA---bcbbBb-a-:0:0:1:64:0:2:0:5:10
Blue to play 64

Attack or Duplicate?

Attacking is always a possibilty in positions like this.

Hitting, H = 13/9 7/1*, leaves two inside blots, sure, but it also gives your opponent nine dancing numbers. I am tempted, however, to reject hitting. The main reason I don’t like it is because White’s checker on the 1pt is exactly where I want it to be, primed behind a 4.5-point block. Putting it on the bar and leaving two blots to shoot at instead of one is not an improvement.

Unfortunately, I see few alternatives.

Determined to keep the anchor, Blue could try slotting his 2pt, $ = 13/7 6/2. Otherwise, stacking the 3pt, T = 13/3, is the only way to hold onto the anchor. Both of these approaches tend to leave Blue with no choice but to attack on his next turn, so maybe attacking now would be better.

The play that is hard to find over the board is giving up the anchor. Splitting, s = 21/15 13/9, duplicates 3, and also gives Blue a triple shot to complete his five-point block. Because White has a vulnerable blot on his 1pt, even the variations where Blue is hit give him lots of counterplay. This could turn out to be the best play. To be honest, however, I am not sure I would see this play, let alone have the courage to play it over the board!

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.